Re: OT-HVLP sprayer air compressor question

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: OT-HVLP sprayer air compressor question
From: R Haug <haugchiro@moscow.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:57:13 -0800
Daniel Neuman wrote:

> On to my question.
>         Been looking at air compressors and HVLP  spray guns.  Does
> anybody have any experience with these things and any reccomendations as to
> what to   buy.  I am looking for a comprssor to run  air tools and one to
> run an HVLP gun.  It just seems to me that the HVLP takes a HUGE amount
> of  air at a low pressure and it seems like the 2-3hp air  compressors I
> have been looking at can not put out that kind of air.
>         OR what about the little HVLP-compressor  combo's that are just for
> painting that places like eastwood sells.

Daniel,
I may have gone a little overboard, but, I have a Devilbiss,
upright air compressor.  This is a 6.5 hp with a 2 stage pump
and 80 gallon tank.  I don't run out of air.  I have 2 types of
spray guns.
1 is a professional quality Devilbiss regular spray gun.  Great
piece of equipment but makes so much over spray that I don't use it.
I also had a gravity feed HVLP gun I got at Harbor Freight.  You need
just a little different technique to use it over the other gun.  It works well
without all the over spray.  It does still have some over spray though.

I thought HVLP was high volume paint and low pressure air so you
could use a smaller compressor?  I must be mistaken?

I ran a sandblaster for 3 hours for my frame and had no trouble with air.
Just kept having to fill up with sand every 30 minutes.
Bob