Re: The case of the missing water

To: "Daniel Neuman" <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>,
Subject: Re: The case of the missing water
From: "James Uhl" <jamesuhl@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:51:00 -0600
Suggestion #1.
With the engine running, use a four gas analyzer (smog testing equipment) to
see if you read any HC's at the coolant pressure cap opening with the cap
removed.  If you do read HCs then you COULD have a head or head gasket
problem.  LESS likely is a block problem.

Suggestion #2.
Sell me the car.

Suggestion #3.
Pull the spark plugs and check for one to be significantly cleaner than any
of the others.  It won't tell you exactly what your problem is, but it will
tell you where to narrow your search.

Suggestion #4
Sell ME the car.

Suggestion #5
Pressurize the cooling system with 15 psi.  Remove the spark plugs (see if
one is CLEANER than the rest) and use a bore-o-scope to look inside the
combustion chamber for water ingress.

Suggestion #6.
Sell me THE car.

Suggestion #7.
Pay a technician to do all this work just to get a "No Fault Found"
diagnosis because the time required to properly diagnose really wasn't
invested.  Or you could sell the car to me?

Suggestion #8.
Please see my sick humor in suggestions 2,4,6,& 7=.  But, you could tear the
head off and do the diagnosis the hard way.  I've worked with machine shops
in the past that will pressurize the combustion chamber to 90psi and find
leaks caused by the coolant etching the head from inside the water jacket,
out.  I'd cover my bases before tearing the car apart, though.

Suggestion #9
Always get a second opinion from someone you know and trust.