The case of the missing water

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The case of the missing water
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@hodge.sfsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:09:35 -0800 (PST)
Hello All,
        So I have a problem maybe with my  car.  It seems that I fill the
rad and then a couple of months later its definately lower.  The catch tank
is empty and I have to put like 3/4 gal in the rad.  I do not see any
visiable water leaks-new hoses and water pump.  I  don't think that I see
any white smoke coming out my tail pipe...What  could be   causing this
water to   go missing??  Do I have a baad headgassket??  How does one  tell
if the  headgasket is bad?? Is there a way to tell without pulling the head?
Even if I  did pull the head what are the telltale  signs that the gasket
is bad??
                Daniel 69 2000
                SF CA