Re: My other car is a 1970 SPL311

To: Arthur <maybee@zebra.net>,
Subject: Re: My other car is a 1970 SPL311
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:32:22 -0800 (PST)
My car still has the smog pump.  Nissan moved the alternator to under
the exhaust manifold to make room for the smog pump, the smog pump gets
in the way of the oil filter, and the slight drag on the engine sucks a
bit of power (but not much or so I've been told).

The smog pump can be removed and the holes plugged without adverse
affects to smog cars.  The debate as to whether the smog pump is
detrimental or not continues.

In California, we've finally slipped through the cracks and do not need
inspections or smog checks to renew registration or even transfer
ownership.  I don't know if changes are legal, though - perhaps I could
still be caught at some time.

Adam

P.S.:  Do you have the ID plate on the car, or can you read the VIN on
the frame?  The fenders are interchangeable.  You should also have two
small holes to the sides of your tail lights (instead of one hole above
the tail lights) for the 1970-only reflector.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/