Alternators; right side or left?

To: "Arthur" <maybee@zebra.net>
Subject: Alternators; right side or left?
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:52:28 -0500
Arthur,

  My 1969 1600 had the alternator in the normal, driver's side of the block,
position.  That sandwiches it between the header, the upper radiator hose,
the radiator, the expansion tank, and the block.  Can you imagine the
temperatures it must see!  So, when I had the opportunity to get a new
alternator ( trying to tighten the fan belt and I yanked the wires right out
of the old one!) I got an older pre-smog bracket and moved a new GM 'two
wire' 45 amp alternator to the 'cool' side of the block.  The voltage
regulator is now in the spare parts drawer along with its harness.  And
there are only two wires now; one directly to the batterys positive post and
the other is a sensing wire that runs back under the dash to the radio power
wire.
  End result is a much cleaner installation and enough power to run head
lights and driving lights.  Many on the list have gone to 'one' wire 100 amp
alternators with out having any problems.  My total cost, less than the
price of a new Datsun alternator.

Paul
OROC
(Too sick to stay at work, but not too sick to stop thinking Datsuns!)