Re: My other car is a 1970 SPL311

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: My other car is a 1970 SPL311
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:28:10 -0800
Technically, a California roadster should still wear a fully-functioning suite
of
emissions reduction hardware (air injection system, distributor, that vacuum
doohickey
that is controlled by coolant temperature, etc.), it's just that we aren't
required to
submit to the biannual inspections. I am not sure about the requirement for a
smog
inspection on transfer of ownership, though.

It was a smog equipment availability problem that sidelined my '20 2000 in
1990. Over the
next few years I gathered all the smog bits I needed (pretty much the entire
air injection
system), but the car had set for so long by that time that it then needed the
usual
de-mothballing work (total fuel system clean out and full brake
inspection/problem
correction). Now when I start working on (this summer, I hope), I will remove
the brand
new smog system components and carefully store them, converting the car to run
better and
smoother w/o the stupid smog pump and dizzy.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000, SRL311-13291