tranny rear seal tricks

To: "'roadster.netlist'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tranny rear seal tricks
From: "Ofarrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:29:25 -0800
So it appears from the fresh stripe of Redline MTL on my underside that I
must replace the rear seal on the 5speed trans.
So I got one.  Now:
Can this be done in place?
Any special tools or prayers to the seal gods I must do? (other than the
obligatory "graft on the hand of a 10 year old in order to access repair
area")
Do I have to buy some of that 'soft metal dirt' I heard about?  (just
kidding, 'drift' didn't translate)
I looked at the exploded view part-pages in Gordon's site, any tricks to
pass along?
I am thinking:
-drop the driveshaft
-loosen/unbolt the output shaft housing (hopefully no jackpot of unspecified
washers, circlips, etc pops out)
-wiggle out the old seal
-club it until Sierra Club arrives
-replace with new seal, refill trans with MTL
-polish the area so as not to incur shame of Roman and Victor (just kiddin'
again)
thanks all for any and all help,
Fergus O'Double-Clutcher
HB, CA