Re: 1500 Transmission Assessment

To: "Charles Hubbard" <cehubbard@home.com>,
Subject: Re: 1500 Transmission Assessment
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:30:10 -0500
Charley,

I'll tell you what to look for:

MOST IMPORTANT is the countershaft bearings and shaft. Replace the
countershaft and bearings even if they appear to be good. Good Insurance.
Also inspect the bearing surface of the countergear to make sure it is
smooth.

Inspect the synchro rings. If they are smooth and a shiny metal surface can
be seen they should be replaced. Inspect all gears for chipped teeth, shift
forks for excessive wear where they contact the "baulk ring" (or the ring
that moves between the synchros to select the gear),  and check main shaft
bearings for smoothness. If money is no problem I would replace the all
synchros now rather than wait until they go bad and then you have to pull
the engine again. Don't ask me how I know.

Also check the end play of the countershaft for correct clearance as well as
2nd and 3rd gear endplay. Mine were off and I had to replace the thrust
washers with thicker ones to get the correct end play.

On the shifter mechanism check for broken springs and worn shifter rods.

If you have any Qs email me. BTW, replace all gaskets and Orings if nothing
else and of course the clutch and t/o bearing. I think it cost me about 200
in parts to rebuild my tranny.

Mike