1500 Transmission Assessment

Subject: 1500 Transmission Assessment
From: "Charles Hubbard" <cehubbard@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:04:50 -0600
Can anyone provide advice on how to asses the condition of a 1500
transmission? Since I have it out of the car, I would like to see if there
are any parts that need to be replaced before it is reinstalled. I took the
top cover and the front plate off of my spare just to look
around. I determined that I had no idea what I was looking for...much less
how to take the guts out. For this information, I turned to the original
Japanese manual and for the life of me can't figure out how to (I'm not
making this up) "using soft metal dirt, drive the countershaft forward".

If one were so inclined, where would one go to buy "metal dirt", much less
use it as a tool to break down a transmission. perhaps you guys from mining
states could offer advice. ;-)

Seriously, could anyone out there be so kind as to copy and send me the
transmission section of a shop manual with instructions that actually make
sense.  It would also help to know if there are any special tools required
to handle this particular tasks.

Thank you.

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310 (1500)