SU needles

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SU needles
From: "John Schmitt" <jschmi7@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:09:09 -0600
I have a 69 2L with a presmog distributor W/O smog pump.  I run it at 16
deg BTDC and get pretty good performance.  I am on an engine rebuild of
about 3000 miles ago and have not really abused it.

I say all of that because I have always gotten a black smoke at startup and
have a pretty acrid exhaust smell.  I am told that it is probably due to an
over rich condition because that is the way they set everything in 69
accounting for a smog pump recycling those emissions.

I have read, in this forum, several time that folks were experimenting with
different needles to cure this rich running.  I have never seen any
response that the magical cure has been found.  Was the US the only area to
have received the SUs without a smog pump?   I doubt that Australia
required it in 69 but they all got solexes.  What about Canada?  Someone
surely got the SU - 2000 that did not have a smog pump and had proper
needles.

Thanks to any replies in advance.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-458-7829
pager 800-759-8888 pin#  8710561