Re: Fuel Injection & Distributor less Ignitions

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Injection & Distributor less Ignitions
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:55:16 -0800
Ronnie Day wrote:

> >Check out TEC l & TEC ll.
> >
> >How much it cost ??????????
>
> Gary Savage had this set up on his previous 510, running it on an L-22
> (L-20b w/Z-22 guts), and I remember him mentioning around $4K for the EFI
> and ECM plus another $500 for the ignition system.

On a setup like his you have the cost of the EFI hardware; that is the manifold,
throttle bodies, injectors, fuel rail, switches, plugs, etc. etc.. This can
easily run $2-4K Then you have the cost of the software and DIS, which can run
another $2-4k or more. Lastly is the odds-and-ends and the instal costs, things
like fuel pump, hoses, wiring looms, a windows based laptop (if you don't
already have one) etc., this can easily run $1-2k or more once all is said and
done. Gary saved some on a used TEC-II system, and I sold him much of the efi
hardware at just barely over cost. Had he gotten it all new at retail, he could
easily have spent $8k on that setup. Others have.

One efi option for the Roadster is the TWM "SU" style throttle body hardware and
maybe the SDS software kit. You would save on a bunch of things by being able to
use the manifold, air filter and other ancillaries from the Hitachi/SUs, and it
would look less "future tech." Plus you need only two throttle bodies,
injectors, etc., and the SDS software is less costly too. OTOH the best results
will be had with a setup like Gary had, with dual, twin-throat throttle bodies
(Solex/Mikuni/Weber/Dellorto style).

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT