bimetallic corrosion

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: bimetallic corrosion
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:55:47 -0600
I've found that what works for me to keep the aluminum head and iron block
from corroding is to run a ground from the frame to the road.  If you attach
a 3 foot length of 1/4" chain to the rear spring and let it trail behind you
while driving, the chain becomes the sacrificial anode.  To provide a good
electron path, buy a fiberglass pole ( orange bicycle safety pole with the
flag will do) and fasten it to the rear bumper. Then run 18 gauge wire along
the pole's length and connect it to the chain.  If you want sacrificial
magnesium, make the chain longer and fasten an old minilight wheel to it.
Remember that the wheel burns with a bright, hot flame when ignited, so make
the chain pretty long.

Leisure Suit Terry