Re: Rust

To: KWS711@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:34:35 EST
In a message dated 02/21/2000 7:49:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
KWS711@aol.com writes:

<< Loctite makes a product called Extend. It is a rust inhibator and will
 oxidize surface rust. I have used it on home projects (rusted swing set,
 paint on, turns rust black, paint over) and it keeps the rust away. Also
 painted floor of tack area on horse trailer, let it oxidize, then painted
 over it. It works fine for surface rust. Don't know how it works on heavy,
 deep rust.
 In Loctite literature, a city (don't remember which) painted a large bridge
 with it to prepare for painting. Claimed it saved a ton of $ in prep work.
 Most bearing houses that sell Loctite should be able to get it
 for you. Comes in quart containers for around $10.00 (?).

 Kim
 68 2000 CSP

I've also used a product called Rust-Mort that does the same thing.  Probably
is the same chemical, and I'm sure someone on the list knows what it is.

The difference with POR-15 (and others like it) is that you don't have to
paint over it.  It contains a cyano-acrylate (super-glue) type of chemical so
it's a one application thing.  Sounds like a good product for the boat
trailer.

Joseph
70 1600
Warren Me