towing

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: towing
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:52:19 -0600
One of the good things about the list is that there are so many people with
experience that can add to the total amount of knowledge.  We did the
trailer versus dolly versus flat towing before, and I learn new things every
time.  By the way, the team.net site will get you to the archives, where all
the past knowledge is stored.

No one has mentioned the poor lubrication early roadster transmissions have,
and that dolly towing can remove lubrication from the front bearings,
leading to transmission failure.  You have to disconnect the drive shaft for
long dolly tows (over 200 miles or so).  I dollied a 2000 many miles with no
problems, but that might have been the Slick 50 I put into the transmission.
Some people disconnect the driveshaft on flat tows so the transmission won't
jam into gear and flip the vehicle.  A friend of mine lost an MGB that way
(no great loss).

 I currently tow an 18 foot tandem axle trailer with electric brakes and an
equalizer hitch.  My only drawback is that it is narrow, and vehicles in the
Aerostar sizes barely fit.  I would look for as wide a trailer as you are
able to tow.  Many car trailers are about 1500 pounds or less, and will
carry a 2100 pound car (roadster) with no trouble.  Texas has a 4000 pound
limit on untitled trailers, so you only need a bill of sale to tag it.  Have
your tax and tag office give you the price breaks before you tell them how
much weight you are going to tow.

I use a 3/4 ton, 350 Chevy Suburban to tow.  It has larger brakes, higher
load ratings on the tires, and a much better cooling system.  The engine is
a small part of the total package.  The transmission is heavy duty and the
A/C is designed to cool under heavy loads.  I bought an electric brake kit
from Wal-Mart that is an electronic marvel, for very little money, and ran
the three or four wires myself.  I also installed a seven-prong heavy-duty
plug and harness for the trailer wiring, and if you don't feel comfortable
(or safe) doing your own wiring, a trailer place will sell the plug and
install the wiring.

I use real 3/8" chain to fasten the car to the trailer and I place the car
in the same position every time.  Straps and winches are good to position
the car, but won't hold it if you have real stress.  (Ask my wife about that
story)

One last thing, make a checklist, just like a pilot's preflight list, and
check every item every time you put the car on or off the trailer. (ask the
TDROC members about this one - I forgot an item once to my embarrassment)
I'm sure there are other important things I've left out, and I'm eager to
see what someone else has to offer.  If you want to swap stories about worst
trailer stories, I'll tell you about the time ..........................

Leisure Suit Terry