Re: air shocks (only kinda related)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air shocks (only kinda related)
From: "Jon Wissler" <Jon_Wissler@pngc.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 08:01:00 -0800
Information from the completely uninformed:

I just redid the suspension on my 69 2000 last summer.  A shop here in
Portland (USA Performance), convinced me that the rear leafs on the
roadster tend to sag badly with age, and recommended having an extra leaf
put in.  I also put new shocks all around (KYB's I think, but different
front and rear).  The handling improvement was enormous, but how much of
that was simply due to new shocks I don't know.  The car now has a downhill
rake which I don't particularly care for, but I'm hoping it will settle a
bit more with age.

P.S.:     As for the daily driver issue, our car was previously owned by a
friend of my wifes who drove it for a few years as her sole car in rainy
Oregon.  The wipers work great, the heater and defroster are effective, and
it does pretty damn well in inclement weather.  I hate to think of the wear
and tear that winter would put on it however, and ours tends to spend the
winter in the garage, with an occaisional putt during sunny days.  I drove
it about 3 or 4 days a week all last summer and had a ball, especially
after the suspension rebuild.  Took a trip to Reno from PDX to watch the
OSU-UNR football game and probably averaged about 95mph from the Cal border
to Reno.  If my speedo is correct, we topped out at about 115, but I think
it reads kinda fast.  The engine didn't even sound stressed at the speed,
and it held pretty steady as well.