Re: air shocks (only kinda related)

To: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: air shocks (only kinda related)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@compctr.ccs.csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:35:57 PST8PDT
Since air shocks were mentioned:
> ...I solved the problem by installing air (shocks) on the rear.

let me add a subtle tip. Two, actually:
1) Don't do it. The reasoning is, air shocks are more prone to sudden
failure. If you're hitting a hard corner and the shock suddenly lets
go, you may find yourself testing your rollbar. DISCLAIMER: I had air
shocks on one of my Mustangs anyway. I never raced it, though
(honest). If I had air shocks on my Roadster, I'd leave them.

2) Plumb the air shocks separately - that is, they normally daisychain
and there's one air fitting to pressurize them both. Instead, install
dual fittings and pressurize them separately (equal but separate). This
makes a lot of sense to me! Think of a hard corner - the inner shock
compresses, which raises the system pressure, which expands the
unloaded outer shock - and the car _really_ leans in that corner.
DISCLAIMER: I never tried this enhancement, but it sure sounds logical!

-- John