Re: Goin' to Shasta!

To: Datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net, jfried@anv.net
Subject: Re: Goin' to Shasta!
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 99 11:11:47 CST

>1)  Don't have a soft top (havn't really needed one here) - what is the
>weather like that time of year?  Should I use this as an 'excuse' to get a
>ragtop?

Occasionally I get rain.  I rarely have the top up, but an early
morning sprinkle of rain seems fairly common most years.

One year, during the dinner and award's, two words managed to clear
out the place" "It's raining!". ;-)

>2)  This is one of the few parts of the county I've never been to - any
>wineries up there - or did I drink them all out of business in Sonoma/Napa?

Not too much around Mt. Shasta. Fish Hatchery, "Source of the Sacramento
River" and a few other places. Great back roads for a nice drive,
just a relaxing weekend of it.

>4)  It seems as there are 2 different functions (Datsun related) going on at
>the same time - what do we need to / should register for?

Both events have some great folks, lots of neat Datsun Stuff,
and a great time.

The "All Datsun Meet" features an Autox on Saturday & Sunday.
If I drive out in my Maxima, I may run it on the AutoX for fun. ;-)
The swap meet is held out in the Parking lot of the Mt. Shasta
Ski Lodge (Auto-X is in the same area).  Oh, bring sun screen!

The "Datsun Roadster Meet" is hosted by a group of roadster owners
from Modesto. Low key, social event. Modesto coast, scenic drive,
and a nice dinner, too.

Both events are open to all Datsun's.  I have been active with
both groups for years, and enjoy both events.  Hard call on
which event to attend.

Average age of the folks at the "All Datsun Meet" are under 40,
at the "Modesto Roadster Meet"  average is over 40. Now that
I said that, ALL OF THEM are going to be after me this July!
(Hint: I'm 40... my first car, bought in '74, was a Datsun 510).

I'll be camping out with my son's (Emerson, 8, and Liam, 6)
at the Lake Siskiyou Campground.  (One of the old Datsun Roadster
Newsletter cover's shows Emerson and me on the cover, circa 1991)

A friend from Modesto, and her sister & family, will probably
join us this year. Since she grew up in Modesto, I'll be at
the Datsun Roadster Meet this year. Now if I bring the roadster,
she might want to Auto-X it!

>5)  What shouldn't we miss seeing while up there - given we'll only be there
>2 days?

Just enjoy yourself... there are enough Datsun nuts, and their SO's
to make it worth while for all.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.