"Cargo Space"

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: "Cargo Space"
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 99 12:25:16 CST
A while back I mentioned looking for a small trailer for the
roadster (& my Maxima on camping weekends).

Finally settled on a "small rear rack" that slides into
a class 1 reciever (1 1/4" square tube). The base is about 20"
x 48", which is large enough for extra camping gear and the
bikes to go on it.

I have the hitch on my Maxima, so I will probably make up
an agle iron "C" braket to bolt to the rear of the roadster
frame, with a reciever tube on it. Caution is required on the
design, as the location of the fuel tank is right there.

After the discussion of SUV's and Pickups backing into roadster
(very common, as the roadster is low compared to most trucks),
I'd be tempted to Leave a "bike rack" on the back of the roadster,
with 5' tall BRIGHT ORANGE poles out of the corner of the rack.
Maybe with a marker light when parking at night!

Here is Austin, SUV's are very popular. I noticed they can not
SEE a roadster out the right side view, hacing been cut off numerous
times (defensive driving, do not stay in the blind spot). I think
they do have their uses (road trips, trailers, etc), but it is
interesting to not when we get a light rain to loosen up all the
road oil... it is COMMON to see them on their roods after sliding
off the road (I counted FOUR food Exlorers on the roof since Jan 1...
60 mile daily commute, so I can almost perdict when & where I will
see the roll over accidents).

Maybe a roll bar with LIGHTS on it, too? (for the roadster).

Cheers,

Tom Walter