Re: Distributor Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Question
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 99 09:42:17 CST

> I saw another plate that seemed to secure the weights.  I was unable to remove
> this rectangular plate to look at the markings on the weights.  This leads me
> to the question of, "do I have a correct distributor?"

Oh, reason you could not remove the distributor cam is the screw is
hiding under the rubber cap in the middle of the distributor. You
know where the rotor goes, sometimes there is a rubber cap in there.
Remove it, and you'll find a small philips screw (hiding under some
grease) that has to be removed first.

I do recommend that the distributor is cleaned up and lubricated
once a year, or so.

> I have taken the 1600 distributor apart with Fred Katz before and it was much
> more simple then what took place a few days ago.  The distributor that is in
> use in my 67.5 2000 has the following markings.

> It also says on the rectangular plate, "17.5"  (I am guessing that this refers
> to the weights)

YIKES! That is a 68-70 Spec smog distributor. With that distributor,
you should have set the ignition timing to TDC.

I highly recommend getting the correct springs/weights/cam (which has
the 17.5 stamped on it).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. I am off to Torrance, Ca for a few days. Maybe I should
harras a few other roadster owners. ;-)