Re: Insurance Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insurance Question
From: rekeen@mtu.edu (Robert Keen)
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 17:40:39
Chris Brucciani wrote on 8 Mar 1999 at 08:22:20
= ...snip...
=  I don't drive either car over 2,000 miles per year.  I am sure that
=  if either one ever were damaged, there would be a huge dispute over
=  the value of the car.  There has got to be a better way to cover
=  these.  Does anyone know of a reputable insurer that specializes in
=  old automobiles?   Or, is there another solution?
Chris-
There were a couple of threads posted on insurance this past year in
early April and mid-July.  The ability to get a policy on a "classic"
or "antique" seems to depend on your location.

State Farm started insuring classics a couple of years ago in our
area; my '60 Chev costs about $100/year, including collision and
comprehensive.  Since it's on the road only 6 months (snow, ya know)
this becomes a very reasonable $50.   This year we'll probably put
the roadster on the same type of policy.  There are some annual mileage
limits, but they're pretty liberal.  Also you probably don't want to
have a smashup at a time or place that doesn't easily fall within the
limits of the policy.

Consensus of the posts from last year was to get a copy of Hemming's
Motor News, contact the companies that advertize there, and be sure to
have your cars appraised by a qualified independent appraiser.

Other posters can fill in what I've forgotten.

--Bob Keen
Chassell, Upper Peninsula, MI
'68 1600