Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 99 13:19:46 CST
 >I recently cleaned up my Clutch Master Cylinder. Point the open end into a
>plastic bag, and shoot some compressed air into the fluid line fitting.
>Just a little bit of air will make that sucker fly out. If you don't have a
>bag to catch it, you'll search everywhere to find the parts!

WARNING WILL ROBINSON... WARNING...
(OK, that line is getting old).

I do NOT recommend using compressed air.  All you need is 5psi of
air pressure, and make sure that piston is aimed into a box full
of soft tpwels to catch the projectile.

Brake fluid will spray all over the place, so eye protection would
be recommended, as having the car away from you (to prevent brake
fluid getting on the paint).

While air pressure will dislodge the piston, it would be much safer
to rig up a second master cylinder and long "arm". Use it to push
the piston back out. Little messer, lots safer.

With compressed air... if you have ever fired a pump pellet gun,
you know what air can do.  A 0.75" piston with 100 psi behind it
will penetrate your skull. Keep that in mind, that you have a very
serious weapon in your hands.

Safety First,

Tom Walter

P.S. I have taken many things for granted. When I go to work on
something in the garage, I always think of what would I want my
sons to do, even if they are not watching at the time.