Re: Media Blasting

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Media Blasting
From: Mark Coffin <coffinm@mail.ecu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:50:39 -0500
Ehinger, Lee wrote:

> IMHO
>
> I have used the commercial blast cabinets and been real pleased, even with
> alum.  The finer the medium the better.   Steel often requres heavier media
>  or longer blast time.

I've been using a blast cabinet that I purchased from Eastwood.
And I've been pleased with it, especially after I finally finished
sealing all the rivets & seams with silicone sealer.  Believe me,
if you miss a spot you'll find it once you start blasting!  You
end up with little piles of media under and around the cabinet.

The fun part now is looking at everything on the car and determining
if you want to media blast it.  I'm doing a total restoration
on my '68 and it's completely apart right now, so it's not really
an issue.  YES! to everything!  I'm currently doing the entire
front suspension and brakes, and repainting each piece as I go.
Eastwood sells paint for the calipers/rotors and they look
really great now!  What a difference.  Spindles too!

It is true about the media getting in all the nooks and crannies.
I'm using glass bead and even though I was trying to be careful
about it, when doing things like the idler arm I ended up completely
disassembling it, and flushing the pieces thorougly to remove
all traces of media.

Next:  The engine and all accessories!!!!

If you make friends with the local machine shop, they might
let you borrow their blast cabinet and save you money on
purchasing your own.

Mark Coffin
68 2000 SRL311-04425