Re: Brakes again (new questions)

To: Ronnie Day <rday@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes again (new questions)
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:24:34 -0800
> >>Mark Dent wrote:
> >>
> >> After reading the current issue of ZCCD I see the Toyota conversion for
> >> 240's. Is it also a bolt on for the roadsters?
> >>
> >> Van suggested the Volvo 240 swap. Which 240 works? All of them? Bolt on?
> >> suggestions helpful
> >

>Ronnie Day wrote:
>
> Good points, Jim. Even the "bolt-on" conversions have their share of
> issues. There's been a lot of discussion on the 510 list about
> conversions and upgrades of both suspension and brake components. The
> most popular seems to be the ZX struts (with or without adjustable
> coilovers) which gives you vented rotors, combined with rear disks from a
> 200SX. As conversions go, pretty straight forward and simple.
>
> However, while considering this for the Prepared class autocross car, I
> decided against either for a couple of reasons. First, in the context of
> autocross use, the stock system in good condition is fine, and secondly,
> going with the conversion on both ends would have added considerable
> weight, something you don't want to do unless there are benefits to
> offset the added weight. Now for the '73, I may do it at some point.

Actually weight is something I didn't even mention.  Those Toyota
calipers are giant lumps of iron.  The Volvos aren't quite so heavy.
For prepared, Wilwood makes beautiful, REALLY lightweight calipers,
nice stuff!

For street use,  I was really just clarifying for any newbies or other
misguided members that you can't just pop on the Volvo or Toyota
calipers and motor on.  Both modifications involve thought and careful work
and the the stakes are high!  Stock is simplest and in many ways probably
safest unless you are completely sure of your work.

If you know how to calculate typical and max operating pressures,
pedal ratio/master cyl size, are talented enough to properly build a
proper caliper bracket and plumbing, go for it.  If not, I really would
reccomend some good pads and maybe some of the nice rotors out there!

Motor On,
Jim Tyler
Topless Datsun