Re: SOLEX VS SU

To: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: SOLEX VS SU
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 14:24:27 -0800
jschmi7@us.ibm.com wrote:

> What is the result of running Solexes with a standard cam?  Would you
> increase the HP and Torque in the lower,  standard cam, Power band?  That
> is what I think I will do.  I have a set of Solexes that I am going to
> rebuild.   I am thinking about leaving the standard cam so I retain the
> drivability.
>
> John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-658-7074; Tieline - 698-9887
>    Internal phonemail only  -  tl-348-4725 or 240-4725      pager pin#
> 8710561

It will work fine. However if you use the 44's and don't go to a smaller
outer venturi you may be able to bog the engine easily with wide open
throttle.  I prefer 40mm's for a mild 2L, but you can tune out 44's to
work fine as well.  You can also just ease your foot into it...

Thats actually another advantage of the SU's of course, wide open throttle
just opens up the butterfly, the variable venturi (the damper piston)
helps to prevent bog.  Of course the SU's won't ultimately make the
power of the solexes...just depends on what you want.

Which version of solex do you have? You may or may not be able to
get outer venturi's depending.

Jim Tyler