Re: SOLEX VS SU

To: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: SOLEX VS SU
From: "Les/Dennis@CDM" <les@classicdatsun.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:54:46 -0800
jschmi7@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> >Give Nissan a little credit.  They know how cams work too!
> >>reasonable power band and torque.  They did a pretty good job.  The SU
> >cam is smoother, however.
>
> >..If you go with a cam with much more lift and duration, you start
> >to loose lower end performance (no torque, bogs as you give it
> >gas etc.)  You will pick up top end though once you get into
> >the power band.  If you get too radical without improving the
> >whole engine, you will get a big soggy overcammed mess.
>
> >If you want a SMOOTH street motor, don't even think about a cam
> >significantly more radical than a B.  You won't be happy.
>
> >Jim Tyler
> >Topless Datsun
>
> Jim, et.al.
> What is the result of running Solexes with a standard cam?  Would you
> increase the HP and Torque in the lower,  standard cam, Power band?  That
> is what I think I will do.  I have a set of Solexes that I am going to
> rebuild.   I am thinking about leaving the standard cam so I retain the
> drivability.
>
> John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-658-7074; Tieline - 698-9887
>    Internal phonemail only  -  tl-348-4725 or 240-4725      pager pin#
> 8710561

I ran my car with Solexes and the stock SU cam for about 6 mos. before I
rebuilt my motor and put in all the goodies.  I can honestly say that I
liked it, maybe even better than the B cam.  The car is a lot more
streetable and has a lower torque band. For me, the B cam seems to come
on above 4000 (which, for me, is normal daily driving :-). I am running
an adjustable cam gear and have the cam advanced 2 deg.  I am seriously
considering going back to the SU cam. JMHO

BTW, don't know if all of you are aware, but Solex Kits are NO LONGER
AVAILABLE!! (from Nissan, anyway)  That has just happened in the last
week or so.  Guess we better build up some of these used ones we have.

Dennis Currington
CDM
'66 2000 (Solexes, 4.11 LSD, yada, yada, yada)