metallurgy

To: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Subject: metallurgy
From: Jim Tyler <jtyler29@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:14:05 -0800
Toby B wrote:

> Sometimes I forget that advances in metallurgy are REALLY impressive,
> even tho you seldom hear about them.

That's true. Nissan did a fantastic job compared to MANY manufaturers
of the time (especially the British stuff).  I've seen some Jag
heads that look like Swiss cheese!

I also meant to throw in a comment about that 63 215 aluminum V8.
The V8 experts in this area cringe at the thought of that block.
It is notorious for erosion problems and even worse-block flex.
Flex usually manifests itself as crank failures, which the un-informed
write off as bad crank work, until it happens again!  Then they
get disgusted and set the 215 aside.

I would bet that the new version (the 4 bolt in whatever Rover) is
a vastly better block for the reasons you state.

Jim Tyler