SOLEX VS SU

To: DATSUN-ROADSTERS@autox.team.net
Subject: SOLEX VS SU
From: jschmi7@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:39:55 -0600
Jim wrote:
>>>.
> What if you got a  'better' cam grind that made power in a broader
>powerband?  I have been  wondering this
> why is the solex b cam the only one you ever hear about???
>
>         Daniel 69 2000

>Give Nissan a little credit.  They know how cams work too!
>>reasonable power band and torque.  They did a pretty good job.  The SU
>cam is smoother, however.

>..If you go with a cam with much more lift and duration, you start
>to loose lower end performance (no torque, bogs as you give it
>gas etc.)  You will pick up top end though once you get into
>the power band.  If you get too radical without improving the
>whole engine, you will get a big soggy overcammed mess.

>If you want a SMOOTH street motor, don't even think about a cam
>significantly more radical than a B.  You won't be happy.

>Jim Tyler
>Topless Datsun

Jim, et.al.
What is the result of running Solexes with a standard cam?  Would you
increase the HP and Torque in the lower,  standard cam, Power band?  That
is what I think I will do.  I have a set of Solexes that I am going to
rebuild.   I am thinking about leaving the standard cam so I retain the
drivability.

John Schmitt    Telecommuter External # - 847-658-7074; Tieline - 698-9887
   Internal phonemail only  -  tl-348-4725 or 240-4725      pager pin#
8710561