Re: Solex's again.

To: rwmannco@interport.net
Subject: Re: Solex's again.
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:33:33 -0800 (PST)
Bob,
        Does your solex mobile have the problems that I described??
I just do not think that its worth the ~1500 bucks for the carbs/cam.

> But fact is I still like driving the '69 2000 Solex the best...  So do
> my kids, who flip for the right seat.
        I am not saying that solex cars are not fun to drive. Mike Carions
car is a blast above 3500rpm with the pedal floored.  BUt what about all
the other times?? The just cruising around town with the top down taking
it easy times???

> Don't confuse 'stumbling' with sharp throttle-on/throttle-off
> performance, or a non-committal right foot.  These can be cured, and
> it's both fun and rewarding.

        When you say stumbling are you talking aboutmy car?? Because my
foot is very committed. When I floor it and leave it floored my car just
seems to 'stumble' around 3000rpm.

  And, forgive me, but it sounds like you
> are within an eyelash of toasting the entire car with the thermo-nuclear
> alternator set up you describe, pulsing lights and all...

        I forgive you. I do not believe that my high output alt. is bad for
the car.  I have a 35amp fuse to the old alt. input wire and the rest goes
straigt to the battery.  WHich is a high-output optima batt.that can take
amazingly high amounts of charging/discharging current.
        The lights do not PULSE perse but get noticably brighter when the alt
kicks in.  The alt is self-regulating so it only puts out what power is needed.
It does not kick out 100 amps to the batt all the time.

                Daniel 69 2000