Re: a few caqrb questions

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: a few caqrb questions
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:33:35 -0400
Hello Jim,

JM> I have a Triumph GT6 running a pair of SU's taken from an MGB.  The
JM> installation was done two Previous Owners ago.  With Joe Curto's help I've
JM> done some work on the carbs (new jets, float bowl mounts, throttle shafts,
JM> etc.).  It is running much, much better but I'm not completely happy with
JM> them yet.  For example, they seem to require a slightly richer mixture
JM> setting that I might have expected (perhaps 18 flats on the jets, though I
JM> don't remember the exact number at this time).  They also seem to require
JM> some choke longer than I'd expect as it warms up.

JM> SIf you don'pt mind, I like to ask a few questions.  What can I deduce
about
JM> mixture or float settings from the following observations:

JM> 1. It runs much better under full throttle than part-throttle.

JM> 2. It runs much better at rpms above about 2500 rpms, with a tendency to bog
JM> when taking off from a start.  This is especially true when it is cold.

Jim,

I am no expert but I have a stock 77 Midget with dual SU.  I had
problems 1 and 2.  I could not figure it out until the car started to
run really badly and would only smooth out when I applied some choke.
The problem was a small intake leak that got big.  Just an idea but I
would wait and see what the experts have to say about my idea.  JM2C.
Oh yeah, the 77 Midget came with a single ZS so the car is not quite
stock.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net