Re: Questions

To: bishel@lobby.ti.com
Subject: Re: Questions
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 16:57:23 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Jan 1994 bishel@lobby.ti.com wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm finally making some good headway in my attempts to distill one good MG
> Midget from two - my complete and assembled but very rusty '74, and my

> I've heard that brake line fittings on some LBC's are odd (for US) - maybe
> Whitworth threads?  Can I buy the fittings readily in the US and make the

On my 60 Sprite, I recall that the fittings take a larger hex wrench than
the ones in the local auto parts store.  I cut them off of old brake lines
and reused them for authenticity.  Should have had them replated first;
they rust terribly if near brake fluid and unplated, and paint won't
stick.  I do not recall that the threads are nonstandard--the mechanic who
helped me plumb the car said I could use standard fittings if I didn't
care that they looked different.  Get a standard american fitting and
compare it carefully with an original, looking not only at threads/inch
but also at thread angle, flare seating surface, etc.  Or maybe somebody
has a really authoritative answer.

How does the list feel about the kits with copper brake lines that can be
bought?  My mechanic did not like the idea of copper, but lots of brits
seem to use them, and they would be a lot easier than bending all that steel.
Our thumbs took days to get over it.

> Finally, any recommendations on what to use to clean up the vinyl interior?
> It's in good condition - no rips or major scuffs, but it's dirty as all
> getout.  Plus a neighborhood tomcat decided to use one of my seats as a
> kittybox.

Try Simple Green.

Ray Gibbons