Re: back with lbc musings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: back with lbc musings
From: "iain (i.) woolf" <iainw@bnr.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 1994 09:50:00 +0000
Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM> writes...
> It was all very fascinating, but I was really disappointed what safety
> regs have done to the car over the years. Sure the wood frame is still
> there , but gone are the wire wheels and wood rimmed steering wheel.
> (The steering wheel I saw looked like something from a Chevy
> Camaro...mass produced plastic). My memory is fading, but I think the
> wood dash was also relaced with something heavily padded.

I can't see why British safety regulations would be responsible for
the changes you mention - perhaps it has been done because of their
export business.

> To me these changes were enough to make a classic like the Plus 4
> start to look too much like the imitation kit car pretenders.

"too much like the imitation kit car pretenders" - what, you mean
cheap and nasty and poorly built? Look again! I know a good many high
quality kit cars that have a wood rimmed steering wheel, walnut
dashboard, and wire wheels. In this respect, they are coming out ahead
of the Morgan already. (Although I realise the authenticity and age
thing is different)

> A real shame.

Yeah, a real shame that Morgan can't get their act together with the
design of their car(s) - the accelerator (gas) "pedal" is a
ball-bearing/roller affair that slips around under your foot, and the
front tyres rub the wheel arches at full lock. Sheesh!

> -Bob T.

     ______../____\/_\.      / Iain Woolf, BNR | email: iainw@bnr.ca   |
   ,~~. --.  |`--= ,==.\    /  Maidenhead UK   | #include<disclamer.h> |
  (/  \`.  ) |    |/  \\\  /\  (0628) 794537 or esn 590-4537(internal) |