Re: most potential for appreciation

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: most potential for appreciation
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 14:22:30 CST
James A. TenCate quoted >

>"Rick Cole, the dean of automobile auctioneers, publishes an annual list
>of ten cars with the most potential for appreciation during the next five
>years."  All cars on his list are currently selling below $20000.  Here's
>the list:

>Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder, 1967

My buddy Bruce can help you out there:

FOR SALE:  1966 ALFA Romeo Duetto.  Italian version.  Was brought into USA in
1984.  No rust.  Engine, brakes, and shocks have been repaired or replaced in
1990 and 1991.  Paint and body are not perfect, but the chassis is excellent.
Has 1967 1750 engine.  $7700.  Bruce Bengtson (h) 452-9443 (w) 738-4313

Bruce has three other ALFAs.  An early 70's GTV, a Milano and a 164.  He wants
to sell one of them to go racing (in some cheap car like an Omni, already
having rented Mark Utecht's for driver school).

>Pontiac Star Chief Custom Safari station wagon, 55-57

We had one of these.  My dad was a car jockey in Saint Paul as a sideline to
his job as a City gas inspector.  We had lots of different cars around all the
time.  Once in a while he would grab a car and keep it for family use.  We got
the Safari in 1959, and drove it for many years.    It was the 1957 model,
which was a four-door wagon (I understand that the 55-56 were two-doors like
the Chevy Nomad).  Had the turbohydromatic tranny behind a 347, I think.  All
leather interior.  The right side of the front seat reclined and had a swing-up
headrest.  Signal-seeking AM radio.  Full carpet with cargo strips in back.
Amazing amount of chrome, inside and out.  Full roof rack.  Dad used to hunt in
Montana with some buddies.  It was not unusual for them to return with eight
mule deer in a trailer at 100 mph.  He used to let the Montana locals drive it
up in the mountains.  Like having a pilot for your ship in tricky harbors, I
guess.  He finally replaced it with a used '63 LeSabre four-door hardtop before
I was old enough to drive.  The only wagon he ever brought home that could
match it for style was the 1954 Chysler with the Fire-power Hemi.  The load
floor on that one was rosewood or the like with chrome cargo strips.

Funny.  All those cars are gone, but Dad shot a whitetail this year with the
same Winchester Model 70 .243 he used on all those mulies.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!  Hope you and yours have a great holiday
season!

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman