The British Way

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The British Way
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 92 09:15:27 pst
The AC Owners Club newsletter ACtion for December included a Christmas
card with a color photo of the new AC Ace.  When I first saw the card I
thought it was an invitation to some kind of unveiling or market
introduction; no such luck.  Oh well, maybe someday we'll see new Aces
on the road again.  It really is a nice looking car.

The Northern California chapter of the Shelby American Automobile Club
meets once a month at the Quinlan Community Center in Cupertino.  The
meetings are held in one of the centers spacious, pleasant rooms that
easily accommodate the 100 or more members that attend.  Parking is more
than adequate.  And I know Triumph Travels meets here at the H.P site in
Santa Clara.  Again, lots of room for members to meet and plenty of
parking for the traditional pre-meeting tire kicking, et cetera.  The
inside cover of ACtions has a listing of the times and locations of the
monthly meetings of the A.C.O.C in the the U.K.  Places like:  The
Victoria, The Windmill, The Thatched Inn, The Rose and Crown, The Royal
Oak, et cetera.  Somehow these don't sound like the names of community
centers or commercial office buildings.

ACtion also had an interesting article on the 48 Heures D'Automobiles
Anciennes de Troyes which is a rally for vintage cars held once a year
at Troyes in the heart of the champagne district in France.  The author
and his wife participated in their '36 AC special.  A couple of other
A.C.O.C.  members also participated in non ACs.  One of the things I
found interesting was that fact that the Brit contingent was the only
one that actually drove their cars to Troyes.  Everyone else used
transporters.

Here's a typical excerpt:

  Twenty minutes drive saw us back at the circuit, well all except one
  of the Lagondas.  Her owner had stopped for petrol on the way and had
  filled the tank with gasoline.  In France this is diesel!  The big
  4-1/2 Lagonda towed him to our French host's house and the tank was
  drained into a Peugeot 405 GRD.

Merry Christmas all, bye 'til next year.

Roland