Re: gasket material

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gasket material
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 92 12:34:39 EDT
> Kevin Riggs asked about a way to cut what sounds like
> some SERIOUS copper mesh gasket material.  Chisel and
> hammer does sound a bit crude...

"Crude but effective"... the followup note regarding use of a sharper
chisel with a harder support block (metal vs. wood) reminded me of the
tools man at the wood shop I used once or twice. I happened to come
by for a chisel just as he was "sharpening" one - and the last thing he
did was just jam the edge against the grindwheel to blunt it. I asked why,
and he said "If I don't do that, people get hurt". So the first time I hit
the chisel with a hammer, it slipped, flipped, and put an inch-long bone-deep
gash in my thumb. I don't honestly think that being any sharper would have
made it do more damage - in fact I suspect if the tool was sharper it would
not have slipped in the first place.

--
---
John R. Lupien