Re: LBCs in Chicago

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBCs in Chicago
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1992 09:37:34 CDT
jim fuerstenberg (xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil) writes:
> I was the guy (the taller one) wearing the Sprite Mini Challenge t-shirt.

I was the guy in the "London England" t-shirt (no, not that guy, the one on
the left...) trailing a rather perplexed spouse, though by the end of the
day she had settled on a nice BRG Spitfire to purchase.  ;-)

> anyway, approximately 620 cars turned out.  lbc and bbc of every description.

Obviously I got there later in the afternoon, plus my counting skills are not
what they used to be... A pity that we had to admire some cars as they left.

> MG  J2, SA and YB, along with numerous TCs, Bs and the like, including a well
> done, but awful in spite of that 4 door MGB roadster about 20 ft long.

Second that. What I couldn't understand was why they bothered to rope it off,
since anyone who asked could plop in and have their picture taken in it. (Why?)

> 1937 Alvis open touring car, won best in show.

Nice to see the Alvis get some recognition. I spoke to the man who brought the
OTHER one, a circa '53 drophead, I think, which strongly resembles my uncle's
'49, right down to the same paint scheme. He brought the Alvis history book
with him, and I was pleased to see the listings for Alvii Nos. 27474 & 27475,
the last two made; my uncle's got 'em. I felt like quite the little celebrity.

> I did not bring my mini being in the process of between race maintenance and
> up on jackstands...

So I surmised, after zooming down the Mini aisle, peering at the owner names
on the signs, and finding you not listed...

Hey, how did you like that Austin America?

-- Andy