RE: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: bchamp@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 09:22:58 -0600
I noticed that a few people had already responded to the "fuel pump" question,

but I have to throw in my two cents!  You may want to consider using a

solid-state electric fuel pump.  These are sold generically through J.C.Whitney

at what is probably about the best price (about $30) and I have purchased a

number of these in the past ten years. On occasion, I have also bought them
from

local parts jobbers (St. Louis and Chicago).  They come in different

pressure/volume ratings, so you can probably get what you need for your
"snake".

I've used the same one for MGBs and midgets with excellent results (2.5 to 4.5

psi; 30 GPH).  They seem to last longer than SUs and aren't as noisy.  The

silent operation is a problem for some of us who like to hear the clicking
noise

of SUs before they crank over the engine.  I would avoid the adjustable
pressure

fuel pumps; particularly the cheap ones.  I've had nothing but trouble with

these as replacements in british cars.

     I've also named most every car I've owned.  Here are a few: '69 MGB -

Puddles (for obvious reasons); '74 MG midget - Garage car; '66 VW Bug - Bumpy.