Re: Car Quandry

To: '"acsu.buffalo.edu!british-cars%alliant.com"@planck'.acsu.buffalo.edu (sol)
Subject: Re: Car Quandry
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 90 15:09:23 EDT

>  Mike Tobin writes:
>
> > I remember a minus 20 night in Montana, no garage, ttrying to get a carb
> > to manifold seal on a Hillman.  I spilled a floatbowl's worth of gas on
> > my bare hand and discovered how really effective evaporative cooling can
> > be.

Ken, thinking I'm making light of a dangerous sUBject (he's right) cautions:
> Basically, DON'T touch gasoline (or alcohol, radiator coolant (gee, so that's
> what antifreeze is for...)) in COLD temperatures.

My war story is one of those duMB s**t moves that Roland said last week
that we all do as part of becoming "real' Brit car nuts.  It was one of
the scariest moments in my car fixing life.  Right behind just barely
getting out from under the Renault as it fell off its factory jack (talk
about stoopid).

the relative humidity when the gas hit was probably less that 10%: talk
about pain.  I dropped the carb in the snow, ran in the house and thrust
my hand under the tap.  Even though the water was cold as it first came
out, it felt boiling.  I'm real lUcky it didn't lose any skin.  Ken's
right: don't do it!

BTW, I did get the Hillman running.

mike Tobin
planck!hercules!tobin@acsu.buffalo.edu