Re: Car Quandry

To: jean%spock.usc.edu@usc.edu (jean hertzberg) (jean hertzberg)
Subject: Re: Car Quandry
From: Mike Johnson <mit-eddie!hplabs!hpupora!mikej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 90 10:15:20 PDT

> I seek advice.
>
> The Rancheroo is his beloved...
>                                       I guess for winter travel in Boulder
> we can get away with rear snow tires and a tarp over the bed.

Get sand, lots of sand.  The rancheroo doesn't have any weight in the back.
This is good for trainning you how to drive in snow in empty parking lots.
But, it gets exciting in traffic.  The canvas bags used for floods are
good.  Three or four should do the job.

> The MG is my daily driver.

The MG is a good snow car.  It handles just as well in zero traction as it
does on dry pavement.  Bessie, you are using as an overgrown bumper car and
that is just what it is.  Personally I prefer to avoid trouble rather than
smashing into things and hope Newton is on my side.  (;-) that's a physic
joke.

> So here are my options: Sell Bessie to a true psychopath, and winterize the
> B and Rancheroo.

This gets my vote.  Don't be fooled by my current geographical address.  I
grew up in snow country in Eastern Washington State.  Put myself through
college as ski patrol and ski instructor.  Best snow car I ever had was a
VW.  When I would loose it, it just bounced off the snow banks left by the
plows and kept going.

--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             UUCP:           hpupora!mikej