Ign. module problems

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Ign. module problems
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:38:14 -0400
While trying to find out about the water port in the intake manifold about
2 weeks ago, someone I was talking to, mentioned that he had replaced his
ign. module and the new module would not work.

The original module has a black rubber where the wire come out.  The wires
come out in 2 bundles, 1 connector has 4 wires, the other has 3 wires. The
3 wire connector appears to be where the unit gets its power from.

I purchased an aftermarket ign module.  The new module has blue rubber where
the wires come out and the 3 wire connector only has 2 wires.  There was a
note in the box, about a design change and that the new module should work.

I have the engine running on the old module, but when I plug in the new
module, the eng. will NOT fire.  The white wire (on the module) is connected
to starter solenoid - for power during the "Start" phase and the red wire to
12v in the "run" phase.

The wires on the 4 wire connector are connected as follows:

Purple - to 1 side of the dist. pick up coil.
Orange - to otherside of  dist. pick up coil.
Black  - to the dist. for ground
Green  - to the Tach. side of the coil.

The person I was talking to (sorry I don't remember who it was - I talked to
about 20 people that afternoon) said that he had contacted Terry and that
Terry said that he needed a new dist. wiring harness.  Once he got a new
harness, everything worked fine.

Well, I'm trying to figure out why the new module will not fire the eng. and
how the "new" dist. harness differs from the original harness.

Anyone had problems like this, and been able to fix it?

TIA