Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 23:36:56 -0500

> Thanks for the suggestion...Unfortunately California will not issue
> registration without the car first being smog tested.
======
OK, I guessed right.
======
 So that would seem to
> rule out John's suggestion...I've gotten conflicting answers from Triple A
> (who should know since they do so much for drivers in CA, including
> registration services).  One office said I have to smog the car since
there
> is still one year left  on testing (cars 25 years or older are exempt from
> smog tests), another office said in 1999, only cars 1975 and newer are
> smogged.  Guess I'll have to go straight to the horse's mouth for the real
> poop!
======
That's best. Ga. no longer uses the age rule. Instead they have arbitrarily
chosen pre '75 as a cutoff, so if yours is a '74, then it would be exempt.
Again I bet Ca. is the same as Ga., but better check.
======

> Anyone else?  Do I just take the chance and drive the car home with title
> and bill of sale and say the hell with any other state and hope I don't
get
> stopped?  Do I run the risk of having the car impounded by any states who
> are nasty about driving "unregistered vehicles"?  States on my route home
> are:
>
> Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri,
> Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona (route may vary and include Kentucky,
> Tennessee and Arkansas)
======
Normally, they just want your money. I've read some really nasty things
about N.J. though.
They have strict smog laws too, and may impound you and the car. Anyway, I
thought you were going to ship it to Va.?

GM