Re: Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: "Kevin" <kevin_hand@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:07:12 -0800
John/All,

John's comment about "don't ask, don't tell may be the best way to
go...please read on and let me know if you all have any other comments...

Thanks for the suggestion...Unfortunately California will not issue
registration without the car first being smog tested.  So that would seem to
rule out John's suggestion...I've gotten conflicting answers from Triple A
(who should know since they do so much for drivers in CA, including
registration services).  One office said I have to smog the car since there
is still one year left  on testing (cars 25 years or older are exempt from
smog tests), another office said in 1999, only cars 1975 and newer are
smogged.  Guess I'll have to go straight to the horse's mouth for the real
poop!

Anyone else?  Do I just take the chance and drive the car home with title
and bill of sale and say the hell with any other state and hope I don't get
stopped?  Do I run the risk of having the car impounded by any states who
are nasty about driving "unregistered vehicles"?  States on my route home
are:

Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri,
Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona (route may vary and include Kentucky,
Tennessee and Arkansas)

If anyone reading this has information about the states listed, I'd
appreciate hearing from you.  California would only ticket the car and make
me show proof of registration by a certain date of face additional fines...

Thanks!

Kevin