Re: Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: Michel Poulin <mpoulin@poulincomm.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:43:02 -0500 (EST)
>On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Greg Monfort wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion...Unfortunately California will not issue
> > registration without the car first being smog tested.
> ======

I don't know about all the states you've listed, but I know that in NY,
MN, IN, and Ontario you can buy a car via private deal and drive it for a
about 10 days before needing plates. Also, you can get a "Temp Tag" in NY
and Ontario that is ment for moving a car from one place to another for
reasons of: restoration, employment, hardship, and a few others. Now mind
you, this info is a little dated (I moved out of NY 10 years ago.) You
should be able to move the car to the repair facility w/o any problems.
(no plates or tags), just make sure that you are handed a title, and that
it's clear. Also, get a statement of sale (contract) writen up between you
and the seller stating the date that you got the car, and state if it is
being sold 'as-is" or not. Also, include a statement from the owner about
the duration and reason what the car wasn't plated/registered for any
period of time.  (Make sure that this has the name,address, and
current phone number or two of the owner. If you get pulled over and
hauled in, the cops can always call the seller.) Call your insurance agent
and get them to give you PLPD on the car, all you need is the vin (you
don't have to own it to insure it if you have intenet.) They should send
you a temp policy or at least a proof of insurance tag for it. Feel free
to tell your insurance agent what you are doing, they can sometimes help
out in other legal issues.
   Once the car is repaired, sine it will have been over the grace period
for getting plates from purchase date, get a travil tag. I think you can
get one from CA, but VA or NJ (where ever the car is being repaired) may
be a better place to do it. Either way, make sure that the tag is dated to
give you enough time to cross the country and when you get back to CA, get
the smog as soon as possible. (you may want the guys restoring you car to
add the smog equipment to it since it'll cost less on the east cost.
    Oh, and as far as Insurance agents, If your agent give you trouble,
call a State Farm Insurance agent near you.. (/blatant plug mode off)

> > Anyone else?  Do I just take the chance and drive the car home with title
> > and bill of sale and say the hell with any other state and hope I don't
> get
> > stopped?  Do I run the risk of having the car impounded by any states who
> > are nasty about driving "unregistered vehicles"?  States on my route home
> > are:
> >
> > Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri,
> > Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona (route may vary and include Kentucky,
> > Tennessee and Arkansas)
> ======

Hay, and when you know when you plan on stopping by Indiana, let us know
and we'll have to give you a mid-west welcome on your way through.

 -=mike=-
 P.S.,
   I could call the Indy DMV and see what they sugest as far as getting
the car through Indiana.