Re: Sealing air lines

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sealing air lines
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:25:45 -0500
At 09:04 PM 2/18/98 EST, Isensee@aol.com wrote:

>I put a brass tube (is that the ferrule?) inside the plastic tubing to
>keep it from collapsing when the compression collar tightens.

Scott,

   The ferrule (sp) is actually a very short piece of metal but it
is tapered at both ends a little.  Next time you're in you local
hardware store, ask one of the clerks to show you their ferrels.  They
usually have a box with all different sizes.  It goes over the tubing and
inside the nut.  (Put the nut on the tubing 1st then the ferrel.)
The nut has a seat in it so that when you tighten down on it, it presses
the ferrel forward and down to seal the tubing to the tube it is sitting
on.

John

 That appears to have
>sealed the leak. I'll let it sit a day or so and see if the system holds air
>now. Thanks for the suggestions.
>
>Scott Isensee

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
71 Saab Sonnett III     75 Bricklin SV1     77 Spitfire