RE: Time Trial at Thunderhill

To: Navid Kahangi <navid@interwoven.com>, Smokerbros@aol.com,
Subject: RE: Time Trial at Thunderhill
From: craig boyle <craig_autox@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:39:24 -0800 (PST)
--- Navid Kahangi <navid@interwoven.com> wrote:

> Why not stay home and knit instead?  It's much
> safer!  That's of course if
> you have the safety-approved needles and yarn.

Yea, speed is fun, local amateur bicycle clubs run
faster events than most autox's!

> I have been doing track schools and racing as long
> as I've been doing
> autocross.  I have never had a scratch on my car.

.. so I went through this track school obsession/phase
a couple of years back. I'd be counting down the hours
until the next event and it really all made autox seem
pretty lame. I did quit for a few reasons:

1) Inevitably "something bad" is going to happen. I
just wasn't pushing as hard as I did in an autox, and
wouldn't for fear of damaging the car. Spinning out is
the worst that can happen in an autox, whereas, I'd
run off course several times at Laguna and T-Hill -
fortunately never at Sears, which seems to eat Miatas.

2) No competitive series to enter (spec Miata wasn't
there yet). Solo I was dead.

3) Refusal to put a roll bar in an autox car - ok a
convertible specific issue.

I would favor a very high speed event run at Wendover
or maybe even McLelland (Mat Charlie?) where there is
nothing to hit. There's nothing dangerous about 100mph
autox's as long as they stay away from hard objects.

Craig