Growing Up in a Parking Lot

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Growing Up in a Parking Lot
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:45:57 -0700
Dennis just asked me a question about Growing Up on Asphalt. His specific
was, "Did you really enjoy it when your parents would drag you to all these
events?"

Well, Dennis, it was the only life my sister and I knew. We are actually
autocross by-products. I think the transition is much harder for children of

"normal" parents who get the autox bug long after the children are born. How
could I say, "Oh, it was terrible, it could have been so much better," when
I really have no means of comparison. Weekends were when we loaded up the
car early in the morning and ate donuts.

Sometimes, we'd have a babysitter come with us to autocrosses. My parents
never missed an autocross for anything. The reason why that worked is
because it was a shared passion. It was probably understood, probably even
before Maggy and I were born, that the children would be raised thusly. So,
I don't recall any problems in that regard.

I think the difference between my family and your average weekend
autocrosser, is that for the Kellys, autocross is a lifestyle. It was kind
of like growing up in a circus.

later,
Katie

Happiness is the best cosmetic.