Rules, rules, rules

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Rules, rules, rules
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 10:32:36 -0400
John Kelly wrote:

>  I've been looking in my rule book to see what it says
> but, so far, have come up empty. I say in that situation there are three
> (3) options. Obviously going entirely on one side or the other of the three
> cones is the quickest.
>
>         Waiting for somebody else to research the rule book. . .

2.2.B page 51:
...Any series of course markers which are generally in a line and
have the effect of a slalom are considered to be a slalom.

Shorter Oxford English Dictionary:
Slalom, n.
1. A downhill ski race on a zigzag course marked by artificial
obstacles, usu. flags...
2. A similar obstacle race for canoeists, waterskiers, skateboarders,
etc.

If it looks like a slalom it is, and you must proceed on a zigzag
course, what with us being etceteras and all.

Now if you want a rule controversy, read 7.9.2 which says if you
stop for a down or misplaced cone, you must proceed ***directly
off course***, and that if you complete the run, your time stands.

Rich