Re: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices

To: pethier@comcast.net
Subject: Re: off season - cheap tow vehicle choices
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 03:11:04 EST
In a message dated 11/28/2006 10:15:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pethier@comcast.net writes:

I do  understand that if your transmission was hunting between 3rd and 4th,
this  would not be to your advantage, and making sure it stayed in 3rd would be
a  good idea.  I have towed for great distances with the transmission in 4th
("overdrive") and if it was not hunting back to 3rd, I figured this was a
good  cruising gear.

Phil-

That's exactly the problem.  Even a nearly imperceptible grade will  cause a
downshift, and after a slight leveling, crest, or increase in speed it  shifts
back up.  Way too much hunting between 3 and 4.  I towed with a  co-driver in
an Astro van with the 4.3 and that trans.  No towing in 4th  was the cardinal
rule.

Charlie