Re: [evolution-disc.] Update Question

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Update Question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:59:40 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 Stlandstra@aol.com wrote:
> The question is related to a 2003 Z06 modification.  The person
> purchased a GM carbon fiber hood and had it painted to match his 2003
> yellow Z06.  This hood is available as part of the 2004 limited addition
> Le Mans look-a-like Z06.
>
> My intial response was that this is an illegal modification in SS.
> However, the car owner was told by Doug Gill that as long as the car has
> been updated in every regard to match an available package, it is legal.
> We know the shock valving was changed on the 2004, but it is legal to
> run aftermarket shocks anyway. The special addition had specific
> embroidery on the seat backs and a decal package, but other than that,
> there were no other changes to the car as far as I am aware.
>
> So, on the surface of it, the GM carbon fiber hood would be legal on the
> 2002, 2003 and non-special addition Z06.
>
> Is that right?

If the car is updated to _be_ a 2004 model year car, I believe its legal.
I don't believe that a VIN plate is required.  The shock allowance would
cover the different valving and I would think C&C would certainly cover
the decal kit and probably would cover embroidery on the seats.

Now, how you prove that is anyone's guess.  I don't think the FSM is going
to show _any_ unibody difference between a 2002 and 2004 z06, whether
they're there or not...

I seem to recall hearing that this has happened in the past at the
national level however...  Anyone know?

Mark