Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:15:27 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Rick Cone wrote:
> Today the cost to check final drive ratio's is the same regardless of
> make of car.  You propose a significant cost differences in protesting
> two different makes of cars for information that would be readily
> available in a FSM.

If it does, then its broken. (assuming you're checking it by looking at
the gears...)  Transaxles complicate the hell outta things, don't they?
:-)

> > Bull.  You wanna protest, put your money where your mouth is or shut the
> > hell up and drive faster.
>
> I have and done.  I just hope you aren't telling *me* to shut the hell
> up. As long as this is a competitor policed sport we have to design the
> rules to preserve what has worked so well for so long.  If we make it
> harder to protest, it makes it easier to cheat, as you will less likely
> be caught.  Do you want to write a rule that makes it easier for people
> to cheat?

Sorry.  It was a general "you" and was stated in a harsher manner than it
needed to be.

Protests involve a risk to the protestor and protestee.  Adding marginal
costs (remember, we don't need the $2k manual, just info the dealer gives
us at $100/hour shop rate) to that isn't a huge deal.

And its already incredibly easy for someone to cheat in AX.  Looks at the
frequency for protests/SEB teardowns vs. the number of competitors.  I
don't condone it and don't do it, but that doesn't mean its not easy to
get away with it.  The main thing preventing more cheating now is that
there isn't much of any sponsorship or contingency and to win what's there
costs more than you get back.

Mark