Re: Turbo Cars in SP

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo Cars in SP
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:52:34 -0500
Sam Strano wrote:

> My proposal has been and is still this:  Allow boost controllers in SP,
but
> limit the gain to a number like 2 psi over max. stock boost.

You haven't fixed the problem. Assuming a willful cheater and
computer-controlled boost (where the boost solenoid has sufficiant control
authority, not a given) you can do an "impound" setting of 2lbs over stock
(whatever "stock" is, there's another kettle of fish) and then an on-course
setting of stock + x.

Doctor, it hurts when I do this - don't do that.

The simplest solution is to not go where the problem is. If limits cannot
be enforced, stop trying. Allow boost controllers, allow whatever boost
increase they can get (they are limited to the amount of flow provided by
the stock turbo, which is a hard limit, so this isn't an infinate power
knob) and allow whatever power increase comes out of that. If it is
excessive for a given car in a given class, then reclass the car.

Knowing what I do about turbo cars, my estimate is that 90% of the cars out
there will not gain enough performance to actually require reclassing. OEM
turbos are normally sized on the small side to promote throttle response;
there just isn't enough excess flow capacity to make huge gains in most
cases.

There are a couple of exceptions... but even then, power is no panacea. It
is entirely possible to have a powerful car that handles like crap. A large
power increase is not necessarily an indicator of a need to reclass a car.

DG